Claude has depicted an imaginary port at sunset. The artist painted a number of imaginary seaports (see 'Seaport with the Embarkation of the Queen of Sheba' and 'Seaport with the Embarkation of Saint Ursula'). The palace front at the left has been adapted from a gateway built in about 1570 and leading to the Farnese Gardens from the Forum in Rome. Behind it is the antique Arch of Titus. On the nearer building, a clock with a single hand gives the time as five o'clock.
The painting corresponds with drawing no. 43 in the 'Liber Veritatis' (British Museum), the inscription on which records the painting as having been made for Angelo Giorio (1586 - 1662), who was made a cardinal in 1643.
We now offer size, fabric & filling options on selected cushion collections. So please use the drop menu on the right, to customize your order.
- Vegan–friendly, super soft faux suede (100% Polyester) with a coloured back panel and zip fasting.
- Our 100% cotton / linen mix gives a natural feel and look. It is finished with a concealed zip.
- All our heritage and retro collections are best suited to this fabric choice.
All cushions are:
- Lovingly handmade in UK
- Machine washable (check care label prior to washing)
- Design is Printed on one side only
- 1046121 NG Code